Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Coming of Age.

Growing up, I've read in my English classes about many stories where the character is said to go through a process of "coming of age", where through the story and plot, he/she matures and changes from an adolescent to a young adult.

I never understood a word of that junk. Probably because I didn't care to read any full novel in its entirety throughout high school (YES, ALL FOUR YEARS, JUST BITS AND PIECES OF NOVELS, OR ENOUGH TO WRITE ESSAYS OF AND TO CATCH THE GIST), but maybe more importantly because I don't think I would have gotten affected unless the story were mine, where I was the main character per se.

I believe I've gone through enough to confidently say that I feel a strong change in my level of maturity, self discipline, and understanding. Some people see me as a very strong person, for better or for worse. I say that because sometimes strong can be a crutch, in which you can pass off as insensitive to others, and as an advantage, in which you can endure much more pain, suffering, and setbacks than the next person.

Actually, people offhand probably cannot even tell what I've been through. But in all actuality, who can tell what people have been through in that way? I digress.

I believe I do have a high level of tolerance and patience for people. I forgive people very easily, almost simplistically easily. I easily keep words but do not hold it against them when others spread a secret I tell them to keep. I try and stay as positive as I can, if someone acts sour to me one day, I come back and try to keep upbeat with them the next day. I never try to stick in negative thought, I believe in myself to a degree where it can fluctuate but never hit zero. I believe in others probably way too much, I would be more of an optimist. And I never say never.

Alot of this is stemmed from two main things: Values instilled in me by my parents, and what I see as trying to "live like Christ" as much as I can.

The first one might not surprise people, but the second one might. Even though I do not bring it up much, I feel I am very rooted with God, and I feel I have good connection with my faith. I would never term myself as "religious" because I was never the type to shove my religion down people's throats either by word or by action, I would not even be termed a devout Catholic. I go to church for my own good and benefit, I take what I take from each Sunday Mass I attend and every Sermon I hear. That is what I expect everyone does. I expect that everyone takes something different.

What I take is that the world would be a better place if everyone strived to live like God; rich in kindness, slow to anger, loving and forgiving. A good Samaritan. Righteous and sincere. That is what I strive to be each and every day, and I will be the first to tell you that I am VERY FAR from being perfect, but I try to be these things regardless. Yes, I've made many mistakes in my life, but because of my faith I believe that in time, I will be forgiven, and I pray for God's and those who I've hurt's forgiveness.

People say they devote their life to their faith, I cannot say that because I am not religious enough and cannot say that I am interested enough in becoming a Priest to say so.

I say I live in faith, love in faith, learn in faith. Hence the name?



Tomorrow, I'll talk about my dreams and aspirations. Really. And how I think that to achieve them, shedding all thoughts of materialisticity and "rewards for the low lifes" are crucial.

No comments: