Monday, March 16, 2009

Carry on Tradition.

"I woke up early on my born day, I'm twenty years of blessing
The essence of adolescent leaves my body now I'm fresh in
My physical frame is celebrated cause I made it
One quarter through life some God-ly like thing created" ~ Nasir Jones.


I've waited for this moment for a long time. To grow up. But right at young adulthood's doorstep, I waver. I am not sure how to step into the new day, the next level of life. It does feel a bit weird knowing that you will be eighteen when you wake up the next day.

But I take it in stride, or at least try to. With the sun setting down on us as Seniors at Vallejo High School, two things are crystal clear in my mind of what I want to accomplish: Pass the AP Fiziks Exam, and build a new culture and lifestyle for myself that will serve as a good foundation for success for my freshman year of college.

Both goals are in my sights only if I work at it each and every day. I cannot succumb to "Senioritis" (which I firmly believe is only a mere social acceptance to 12th graders universally, it is not real if you do not allow yourself to believe it). Sadly, I feel that many of my classmates have sunk to that predicament, they feel worn down by the long year, they feel that it will be fine to shut it down for the most part in the 2nd semester, then hopefully switch it back into high gear in time for college. Maybe that works, maybe it doesn't, but I believe success is a creature of habit, especially coming from a high school like Vallejo where minimalism is the norm, BSing mindless assignments will further increase your grade, I'm going to need all the good study habits and good habits in general I can get.

I try to liberate my classmates of their deficiencies with my passion for fiziks and my excitement for learning. Sometimes it works, and there are days where no one picks up on it, but regardless I feel it is important to put that example forth to at least show them the way. Throughout high school I always felt more than just a student; I always took on this leadership role or tried to strive for something outside of my duties as a regular student. Sometimes this would cause trouble for me because I would worry about the class in general, I remember earlier this school year challenging myself to be a facilitator and that panned out lukewarm. I feel I am best when leading by example, that makes it okay for others to recognize my drive and hopefully look at themselves and push harder.

When I feel lacking in drive I know I can get rejuvenated by listening to Tillay. It's kind of a good thing I was able to recognize that about me so early, even before the start of the class. I remember writing in my summer autobiography about "when motivated, I am a highly productive and achieving student". Mr. Tillay is truely amazing in every sense of the word, he's always pulled through for his class even when others cannot live up to that standard. I have been sold on everything you teach and advise about because it is the real thing, and the results show in your own personal experiences about education and your past students experiences.

Attaining my two goals is my prime objective. I carry with me old values and old tradition to help me on my journey.

2 comments:

dt said...

Big E, when the end is in sight, then is the time to keep sprinting toward that finish line!

The unfortunate thing about Darwin is that he was right. The best adapted survive. Now you know why Oprah and Bill Gates say that an inner city student has only a 6% chance of graduating with a four-year college degree. Too much social pressure not to achieve is holding them back.

We can do this thing! Hang on!!!

Mr. T

sushifiend said...

Yeah, I quoted you on mine. Hope you don't mind mayn.